Saturday, January 28, 2012

Novella Review: DX


DX (Crimson City)
Published By: Carolyn Jewel
Publication Date: December 15, 2011
eBook - 65 pages
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Paranormal Romance

The Good:

DX was a juicy little tidbit that was full of the things I love in a good read: paranormal beings, suspense, a kick ass heroine, and hot boys. I wasn't expecting much considering I got this for free on Amazon the other day, but I was pleasantly surprised. Carolyn Jewel is a solid writer who has created some interesting characters that I would love to spend more time with - Jaden in particular. 

The female protagonist, Helen, is referred to throughout the piece by her nickname, Hell. How can you not want to read about a woman named Hell? I'm thinking about naming my first born daughter Helen now. How cool would it be to have Hell as your name? 

Crimson City has a slew of supernatural beings lurking in the shadows - demons, vampires, and werewolves all make appearances in this one. There is also some hinting that other beings might make appearances in other books. Carolyn Jewel's work has found a home on my TBR list. I am also interested in seeing what the other Crimson City authors have to offer.

The price was also an appealing factor. This read is currently free for Kindle and only 99 cents for Nook.

The Bad:

* Abrupt shifts in action happened a few times forcing me to reread to figure out what was happening
* Hell & Jaden's relationship is uber hot, but it seems to happen too fast. Given the length of this one, that's not surprising, and the heat factor totally made me forget this little complaint.
* The beginning was a little slow

The Naughty:

* There is some hot foreplay in an alley after a werewolf battle.
* The major sex scene in this one is a scorcher. I was slightly thrown for a second during the shape shifter aspect of it, but hey, it did have some nice perks.
* The hotness factor of the kisses is off the charts

Overall Verdict:



Helen "Hell" Marshall just wants her old job back as an agent with Crimson City's Internal-Operations. When her mentor brings her in for some contract work, she jumps at the chance. Her assignment? Track down and neutralize a demon on the loose in Los Angeles. Too bad she has to work with covert agent Jaden Lightfeather, and it's really too bad when her ex-boyfriend and vampire head of a criminal enterprise wants her back. 

In Crimson City, nothing is what it seems, not anyone or anything.

2 comments:

  1. Great review Tess! I'm pleasantly surprised. I had major doubts about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the different type of story line. The story was a fast paced adventure with action, deep emotions, sensual and all out good read. I have read other books by this author and she did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...