Monday, January 2, 2012

My Book Boyfriend: Jon Snow


We decided that Thursday needed a little pizazz and stumbled on this meme while hanging out at one of our favorite blogs, A Book and a Cupcake. So we took ourselves over to The Unread Reader to see what it was all about and join the fun. The Unread Reader features this meme on Wednesdays, but we figured moving our participation to Thursday wouldn't hurt anything. We'd love it if you'd leave a comment if you participate in this so we can check out your book boyfriends as well.

My Book Boyfriend this week is  Jon Snow, of George R.R. Martin’s widely acclaimed series, A Song of Fire and Ice and the hit HBO television series, Game Of Thrones.
(Sidenote: I’m going to try to do this without spoilers.)

Yep, its me again! Why you ask? Well, because I’m greedy like that, and I know a whole host of available drool-worthy characters you need to be introduced to. Without further ado, I present you with Jon Snow.

Who is my ideal Jon Snow?

Casting got it so right with Kit Herrington. He’s an excellent actor, able to portray the wide range of emotions and complexity of this character and provide much eye candy in the meantime. He is also over 18, which keeps me out of jail.

Jon’s Appearance:
*grey eyes
*Slender of build yet quick & strong
*Dark haired
*long of face, like his lord father

Facts about Jon:

*He is bastard born, hence the surname Snow, which is given to highborn bastards of Northern lords
*He cares deeply for his half siblings, animals, and all manner of broken things
 *His natural mother is thus far unknown but a boatload of speculation
 *He will always do the right thing, not the easy thing
 *He slew the Others for the first time in centuries


Quotes About or From Jon:

“Lord Stark,” Jon said. It was strange to hear him call Father that, so formal. Bran looked at
him with desperate hope. “There are five pups,” he told Father. “Three male, two female.”
“What of it, Jon?”
“You have five trueborn children,” Jon said. “Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the
sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord.”

Jon:  “Why do you read so much?”
Tyrion looked up at the sound of the voice. Jon Snow was standing a few feet away, regarding
him curiously. He closed the book on a finger and said, “Look at me and tell me what you see.”
The boy looked at him suspiciously. “Is this some kind of trick? I see you. Tyrion Lannister.”
……..
“My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has
his warhammer, and I have my mind . . . and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone,
if it is to keep its edge.” Tyrion tapped the leather cover of the book. “That’s why I read so
much, Jon Snow.”
“Hear my words, and bear witness to my vow,” they recited, their voices filling the twilight grove.
“Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife,
hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at
my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns
against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that
guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night’s Watch, for this night and all
the nights to come.”
The woods fell silent. “You knelt as boys,” Bowen Marsh intoned solemnly. “Rise now as men
of the Night’s Watch”

”You know nothing, Jon Snow”
“She gave a little gasp. "If you love me all so much, why are you still dressed?" she whispered. "You know nothing, Jon Snow. Noth---oh. Oh. OHHH."
Afterward, she was almost shy, or as shy as Ygritte ever got. "The thing you did," she said, when they lay together on their piled clothes. "With your...mouth." She hesistated. "Is that...is it what lordss do to their ladies, down in the south?"
"I don't think so." No one had ever told Jon just what lords did with their ladies. "I only...wanted to kiss you there, that's all. You seemed to like it."

Why Jon Snow is OUR Book Boyfriend (cribbing notes from Tevya, so many of us love him and it needs to be said):

Me: Jon is rather singular in his world, though he shouldn’t be  – he has a foot in both worlds. His loyalties are torn. And he strives to do the right thing, on a case by case basis, as well as for the overall good and for all the oaths he’s taken, spoken and unspoken. As a bastard born son, he could have chosen otherwise, but he chose to be of use. He chose the honor of the Night’s Watch.

Charise: He's hot, I want him to marry the dragon queen, I think he's loyal and endearing, deep thinker, smart, his mom is someone very special, talented w the swords, he's going to be the king in the end.

Stacey: Ahhhh, Jon. He has a quiet strength, much like his father, but he also brings out that part of me as a woman that wants to be what completes him. He's wounded by being saddled with the moniker of bastard and craves his father's approval but is nothing but loyal to his half-siblings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...