Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: Beyond the Highland Mist

Beyond the Highland Mist
Highlander #1
By: Karen Marie Moning
Published by: Dell
Release Date: May 2007
Buy it from IndieBound and Amazon
Audience: Mature
Source: Owned by Reviewer



You know, it is said that you never forget your first.

Well, Hawk was my first . . .

Highlander.

I have to admit I've never been one to swoon over the kilt-clad Highlanders. As far as the romance genre goes I usually stick with the paranormal romances and steer clear of the historical romances, BUT I love (okay, maybe I'm borderline obsessed with) Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. From the Fever Series lovers, I have heard mixed opinions about the Highlander Series by Moning. Feeling as if I was less than adequate to figure out all the mysteries in the Fever Series, I decided to see if any of the Highlanders would give me insight into the brilliantly twisted world Moning created in the Fever Series. If you are looking to compare the two series, you might want to stop right here. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Although, the plot in Beyond the Highland Mist is more complex than your typical romance, it's not comparable to the Fever series. I have found myself enjoying the Highlanders (Who wouldn't? They are overtly sexual guys in kilts WITH accents. Duh.) That being said-- I have still caught myself looking for clues to the Fever Series, and the Highlanders provide great insight into how Moning became one of the great romance writers. (I think I might have an author crush!)

The man, the myth, the legend . . . Hawk. A laird of sexual conquests in medieval Scotland finds himself faced with his most formidable foe--a modern day woman, one who doesn't seemed fazed at all by Hawk's sexual presence, or, really, anything he has to offer. Adrienne gets dumped right into what, seemingly, would be a girls dream come true: a warrior, in a castle, in a kilt, who happens to want to marry her. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be looking to wake up from a dream like this!! Adrienne and Hawk are soon wrapped up in the classic romance plot--he wants her, she wants him, and nobody's budging, but somebody's got to cave soon . . .

Summary from Goodreads:

He would sell his warrior soul to possess her . . .
An alluring laird . . .
He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart--until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length--but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.
A prisoner in time . . .
She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side . . .


2 comments:

  1. Okay, you've convinced me...this is moving waaay up on my TBR list! I'm usually picky about romances that I read, but I LOVED Outlander. And this sounds just as enticing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randi- have you read the Fever Series by Moning? Those are my favorites!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...