Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Review: Night Embrace


Night Embrace
(Dark-Hunter #2, Were-Hunter #1)
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: July 13, 2006
Source: Owned by Reviewer
Buy it on Amazon or IndieBound
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Audience: Adult


Synopsis from Amazon:
As an ancient Celtic warrior, Talon made one giant mistake-- he killed the son of the war god Camulus. In anger and outrage, Camulus cursed him--Everyone Talon loved would die a horrible death in front of his eyes. But when Talon's clan slaughters his young sister while he watches, powerless to stop them, he sells his soul for vengeance against them. Two thousand years later in modern-day New Orleans, as part of the bargain he made, he's now an immortal protector who keeps mankind safe from the creatures who would prey on them. A life he's happy with until he meets Sunshine--an offbeat artist who reminds him what it's like to really live. Unfortunately for both of them, it's Mardi Gras, and New Orleans is teeming with a complex plot of ancient gods, including Camulus, who are now out to re-conquer the world. The gloves are off and it's time for a rematch with Talon out to save everyone, including the artist who makes him insane.


My Thoughts:
One of my favorite things about the Dark Hunter Series is the incorporation of Greek Mythology (along with other pantheons)  into Paranormal Romance. Night Embrace is alive with this mythology. Throw in my favorite Louisiana holiday, Mardi Gras, and a hot Celtic warrior, and there is no way this one can go wrong. Talon and Sunshine are two of my favorite characters from the Dark Hunter world. Sunshine was very easy for me to relate to. She is absentminded, forgetful, and creative. She is a down-to-earth, quirky girl doing just fine making a place for herself in the world. The first thing I fell in love with Talon for was his sense of humor. When we wakes in Sunny's loft, he finds himself in quite the funny predicament, and he takes it in stride. The next thing I fell for was Talon's utter devotion to his family, whom he had lost thousands of years ago. When things really start to heat up between Sunny and Talon, they both have to come to terms with a shared history that surprises them. Sherrilyn Kenyon brings the concept of soul mates to a whole new level in Night Embrace, and I loved it! Talon and Sunshine are a fun couple, both easy to love, and theirs is a journey that feels natural, inevitable. 


There were many surprises in this book, and it's difficult to share my thoughts without giving away spoilers. The action is non-stop, the steam is heavy, and there are many twists and turns to the plot. I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's writing style. It is vivid and casual, with enough wit and humor to lighten even the heaviest of story lines. We are also introduced to a few new characters in Night Embrace, some we will love and others we will love to hate.


So if you haven't started reading this series yet, get on it!


From Night Embrace:
Dear Reader, 
Life is great for me. I have my chicory coffee, my warm beignets, and my best friend on the cell phone. Once the sun goes down, I am the baddest thing prowling the night: I command the elements, and I know no fear. For centuries, I've protected the innocent and watched over the mankind, making sure they are safe in a world where nothing is ever certain. All I want in return is a hot babe in a red dress, who wants nothing more from me then one night. 


Instead, I get a runaway Mardi Gras float that tries to turn me into roadkill and a beautiful woman who saves my life but can't remember where she put my pants. Flamboyant and extravagant, Sunshine Runningwolf should be the perfect woman for me. She wants nothing past tonight, no ties, no long-term commitments. 


But every time I look at her, I start yearning for dreams that I buried centuries ago. With her unconventional ways and ability to baffle me, Sunshine is the one person I find myself needing. But for me to love her would mean her death. I am cursed never to know peace or happiness-not so long as my enemy waits in the night to destroy us both. 
--Talon of the Morrigantes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...