Monday, July 29, 2013

Book Review: Bared to You

Bared to You
(Crossfire #1)
By: Sylvia Day
Published by: Berkley Trade
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Genre: Erotic Fiction
Source: Purchased/Owned by Reviewer
Buy it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble

My Thoughts:
Again, first time reader of this author, but I had heard so much hype about the books I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. Overall, I enjoyed this book enough to pick up book two and continue.

Eva Trammel just relocated in a new city closer to her mom and further from her father. She's a strong, assertive and well grounded female with a dark past. I'm sure most can relate with Eva as we all share similar qualities. She's a strong, driven character set on making her mark on her own merit alone and not on the coat tails of her step father. It is a highly commendable quality that I, as a reader, can relate to.

Then there is Gideon Cross. A high profile man world renowned for his business savvy and sex appeal but Gideon is far from having it all together as what initial appearances or impressions give. Inside he is carrying darkness and no one around him sees that until Eva bursts into his world and flat on her ass in the lobby of Crossfire. She sees HIM. 

Immediately his presence affects her. Eva struggles with the urges to run to him and away from him. Days pass and she starts her new career working for Mark and end up crossing paths with the billionaire once again. This time Gideon doesn't let Eva slip through his fingers and with an indecent proposal from Gideon, Eva is sent spiralling, once again fighting what her body craves as opposed to what her mind is instructing her to do-run far, far away. She caves, like we knew she would, who would turn down Gideon Cross after all?

These are two people beautifully broken with ugly secrets, stubborn. Gideon is very much the alpha, possessive male and coupled with the stubborn, insecure nature of Eva, it makes for a train wreck waiting to happen, for the reader yet oddly, the pages keep turning and turning very quickly. The chemistry between both Eva and Gideon sizzle through each page-not just sex but each interaction.

I found I became tired of the constant sex in this book near the end. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a hot and steamy book but not at the expense of the story. I found it began to slowly take away from its plot when everything revolved around that one act. Yes, the author explained through her characters why that was-it was the physical connection that was needed to assure each other but for me it became a little much. The constant arguing became boring and irritating as well. Eva in a lot of areas annoyed me. Both are insanely jealous and irrational about the other one and that made for quite a few moments where I wanted to scream at them. But, this book is chalked full of raw passion and angst that will suck the reader in-guaranteed!

Overall, it was still a good, well written book. The cons of the things I did not like were not enough to deter from continuing on. I am looking forward to what happens next for Eva and Gideon.



Summary from Goodreads:
“Full of emotional angst, scorching love scenes, and a compelling storyline.”—Dear Author THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness… He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.The bonds of his love transformed me, even as i prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...