Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: Jacob, Book 1 of the Nightwalker series


Jacob
Book 1 of the Nightwalker series
By: Jacquelyn Frank
Published By: Zebra (December 1, 2006)

Buy it at Amazon
Source: Mass Market Paperback Owned by Reviewer
Audience: Adult


The Characters:


Jacob the Enforcer is an Earth Demon whose responsibility is to protect humankind and Demons alike. It's only twice a year that Miz Frank's demons are vunerable to lunar based, maddening lust. It is during those times that Jacob has to punish his fellow Demons to protect his race as well as the human race. When Isabella, literally, falls into his arms, Jacob is competely overwhelmed by his feelings for her, and he has never been tempted before in all his centuries. Nonetheless,  he was just sort of flat and uninteresting for me.


While Jacob was sort of meh for me but Isabella kicks serious ass! She may be a librarian but she's also strong willed, intelligent and a grand thinker - Bella kept me reading.  She's also sarcastic, which appeals to me immediately. Jacob may call her a little flower, but she's no squishy, annoying female who simpers and does nothing more strenuous than batting her eyelashes.  She had depth and growth and I just thought she was badass.

The Plot:

The world of the Nightwalkers is very cool. The demons are elementally based (earth, wind, fire, body, mind. I'm sure they're are water demons too, but I'm book 4 haven't met one yet, but I digress.) There are also vamps and lycanthropes (I'm beginning to think no world is complete without them ;) And the baddies are necromancers, and other evil tinged magic users. Jacob and Bella are the beginning of an ancient, long lost prophecy for a dramatic change in the Nightwalker world......And not everyone is happy about it.


My Thoughts:
I would have to say while I liked the world and the set up of the mates, the one thing that stuck out most to me was Jacob calling Bella "little flower". It for some reason, just irked me constantly. There were a couple of really hot scenes, and definitely some funny moments but this book was just a two birdie read for me.  I do encourage anyone who wants to read this series, however, to get through the first book, because I can assure you that the series improves with each book, and Gideon, Elijah and Noah are worth the wait!  Just ignore the whole Jacob/Bella thing - I did. At least he isn't a werewolf....




Synopsis:
Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers - the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer...For 700 Years, He has resisted temptation. But not tonight...Jacob knows the excuses his people give when the madness overtakes them and they fall prey to their lust for humans. He's heard every one and still brought the trespassers to justice. Immune to forbidden desires, uncontrollable hungers, or the curse of the moon, his control is total...until the moment he sees Isabella on a shadowy New York City street. Saving her life wasn't in his plans. Nor were the overwhelming feelings she arouses in him. But the moment he holds her in his arms and feels the soft explosion of her body against his, everything changes. Their attraction is undeniable, volatile, and completely against the law. Suddenly everything Jacob has ever believed is inflamed by the heat of desire...Bring on the night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...