Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Review: Frost Moon



Frost Moon
Book One, The Skin Dancer Series
By: Anthony Francis
Published By: Bell Bridge Books
Publication Date: 04/06/10
Buy it at Amazon
Source: Galley provided by Publisher via NetGalley
Audience: Adult



My Thoughts:


This book grabbed me and my ever wavering attention right on the first page with this quote:




"I first started wearing a Mohawk to repel lowlifes - Barflies, vampires, Republicans and so on...."

SNERK. As you can tell, the tone is all attitude and badassed-ness from the jump. The sharp and witty dialogue is consistent from the first page to the last. The world is a fresh and gritty take on the supernatural world and it's aptly named dwellers the Edgeworlders. The vamps, the weres, the magical and mundane worlds all collide and co-exist in Atlanta, where Dakota Frost, the bi-sexual tattoo artist and skindancer is busy being awesome. Now, I will warn you - There is no smut, but there is plenty of sexual tension between Dakota and just about everyone. The cast of characters is incredibly well written and well formed, from the vamp ex-girlfriend to the secret agent man Fed who's trying to track down a killer.
What I really loved about it, besides the smart-ass heroine who straddles two worlds and has a lion's share of integrity, is that Atlanta is a fresh setting. I'm from New Orleans, and I love reading about my favorite place in the world, but its getting a little played out as the epicenter for the paranormal, and it is particularly irksome when I can tell the author has never lived there, but I digress.

Another thing that captured my attention and lead me through the book was we only got a small piece of Dakota's back story and it leaves you wanting more. This is not a book I will put down and forget about, because it left me with far too many questions. Where's her mom? Where does her skin dancing ability come from - Is it inherited? Who's the freaking tattoo collector?

Random aside: The chapters have the best names. My favorite is Trust but Verify.



The question of questions:

Would I spend my money on it? Pffftttt. I already did! My hard copy should be in next week. I'm watching the author's website for a release date for Book Two, Blood Rock.




Summary Provided by Editor:


Dakota Frost's Enthralling Saga Begins . . .
In an alternate Atlanta where magic is practiced openly, where shapeshifters party at the urban clubs and vampires rule the southern nights like gangsters, where demure witches sip coffees at the local cafes and mysterious creatures command the dark caverns beneath the city, Dakota Frost's talents are coveted by all: She's the best magical tattoo artist in the southeast: a SkinDancer, able to bring her amazing tats to life. When a serial killer begins stalking Atlanta's tattooed elite, the police and Feds seek Dakota's help. Can she find the killer in the dark fringe of the city's magical Edgeworld? What kind of enemies and allies will she attract among the powerful outcasts and tormented loners, who see her as a threat, a seduction, an unexpected champion . . . or as delicious prey.

FROST MOON is Book One of the SKINDANCER fantasy series by debut author Anthony Francis. Filled with unforgettable characters, spine-tingling action, scenes of sheer wonder, kinky rebellion and edgy love, FROST MOON is storytelling at its most classic, and Dakota Frost is an irresistible new star of fantasy fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...