Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Review: Devil May Cry


Devil May Cry
Dark-Hunter Series
By: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: April 1, 2008
384 pages (Mass Market Paperback)
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Audience: Adult
Source: Owned by Reviewer



My Thoughts:
While I have been a fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's for some time now, I skipped the Dream Hunter books in my rush to get to Acheron. (Yep, those of you who know the series understand where I'm coming from here.) Recently I have decided to go back and read the Dream Hunters, and in looking to see where I needed to start, I discovered that I had also skipped over Devil May Cry. (I know, I know! I don't know how this happened. And yes, I was blindsided by Kat when I read Acheron, so I knew that I had missed something somewhere...) So, to correct my grave mistake, I picked up Devil May Cry before starting the Dream Hunters.

Devil May Cry is the story of Katra and Sin. Kat is one of Artemis's maids, and Sin is a former Sumerian fertility god. Artemis sends Kat to kill Sin, but that doesn't quite turn out as she had planned. Turns out Sin isn't quite as bad as Artie made him out to be, and Kat teams up with him to - you guess it - help save the world from demons. The story line is typical Sherrilyn Kenyon fashion. Good vs. evil, and good wins in the end, with a lot of mythology thrown in for fun, of course. Kat and Sin's story has a few twists and turns in it due to who Kat's parents are as well as Sin's history with ol' Artie. I love that Katra is a strong heroine. She doesn't need to be rescued or saved, rather gets in there and fights right along side her man. She's no damsel in distress, and she is willing to make a huge sacrifice to save her man. Sin also steps up to the plate in a big way to save Kat when she needs him, even though saving her ties Kat to him for the rest of their lives. Of course things get rocky when Sin finds out who Kat is, and exactly what role she played in the loss of his godhood. But in the end, true love conquers all, even if it is in an unconventional way.




The Dark Hunter books are my fluffy, just for fun reads, and Devil May Cry didn't disappoint. It was easy to get into, kept me interested, and has well developed characters who I loved immediately. While the plot was predictable, there were enough new angles and fun asides that it never got boring. I loved it. If you're a Dark Hunter fan, don't miss this one!


Summary from Goodreads:
As an ancient Sumerian god, Sin was one of the most powerful among his pantheon. . . Until the night Artemis brutally stole his godhood and left him for dead. For millennia, this ex-god turned Dark-Hunter has dreamed only of regaining his powers and seeking revenge on Artemis. If only life were that simple.

Unfortunately he has bigger fish--or in Sin's case--demons, to fry. The lethal gallu that were buried by his pantheon are now stirring and they are hungry for human flesh. Their goal is to destroy mankind and anyone else who gets in their way. Sin is the only one who can stop them--that is if a certain woman doesn't kill him first. Unfortunately, Sin discovers that now he must rely on her or witness an annihilation of biblical proportions. Enemies have always made strange bedfellows, but never more so than when the fate of the world hangs in the balance. Now a man who knows only betrayal must trust the one person most likely to hand him to the demons. Artemis may have stolen his godhood, but this one has stolen his heart. The only question is will she keep it or feed it to the ones who want him dead?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...