Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review: Cowboy Casanova

Cowboy Casanova
(Rough Riders #12)
Published by: 
Samhain Publishing
Release date: 
December 6, 2011
Format: eBook
Buy it at Amazon
Source: 
Purchased by Reviewer
Genre:
Erotic Contemporary Romance
Audience: 
Mature Audiences (18+)

My Thoughts:
Oh My Ben, where do I begin? First of all, I will say that Cowboy Casanova is my favorite of the Rough Riders Series. Have I said that about each one as I finish? Probably so. But right now, just a day out of finishing Ben's story, I'm claiming his as my favorite. Bennett McKay is one of the cousins, brother to Chase and Quinn. He's the quiet one of the family. The middle child who often feels invisible, especially when the whole McKay/West clan gets together. He doesn't date girls from Sundance, his home town, and he doesn't hang out at the local bar with his cousins. He is considered the peace maker in his family, known for being level headed and soft spoken. But sexy Ben McKay has a secret. Not only does Ben have that rugged sexy cowboy thing going on, but he's also a Dom. He spends his free time at The Rawhide Club, content to chose from a selection of subs as he wishes. No burning desire for a family, and positive he'll never find a woman who accepts both Ben the quiet rancher and Bennett the demanding Dom, he has settled into a routine that makes him happy. Until he meets Ainsley. Ainsley is new to town, a curvy, professional woman starting a new chapter in her life. Her weekend pass to The Rawhide Club ends up changing her life in ways that she had never imagined when Bennett calls her out on her lies and challenges her in a game that will end up putting both of their hearts on the line.


There are so many things that I loved about Cowboy Casanova. Well, besides Ben - that's a given. I fell for Ben immediately. Ainsley was a heroine that I could totally respect. She forced herself to make choices and take steps out of her normal comfort zone.  I loved that Ainsley is a real woman. She's strong and independent, but vulnerable as well.  I was as enthralled with her story as I was with Ben's. Ben has a lot of family drama going on, which we've come to expect from the McKays, and we get glimpses of some of our favorite McKay brothers and cousins in Cowboy Casanova. Gavin made a few appearances, and I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing a lot more of him. (I've even already made a guess as to who his "other half" will be when his book comes out.) We also saw more of Tell and Dalton. (Dalton made me really angry - not sure how I'll feel about him. Tell on the other hand. Whew - can't wait for Tell's book!) Rielle was like the Desperate Housewives neighbor. I loved her and resented her at the same time, but she added a great dimension to the McKay story. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Ainsley's story also brought in some new people. I enjoyed meeting her friend Layla, and along with Layla Bennett's friends at the club. I also liked and getting to know Doc Joely a little better.  I have to admit that it was fun to have a new villain.


The Dom/sub relationship in Cowboy Casanova was new to this series. Now don't get me wrong, all of the McKay/West boys like to be in charge in the bedroom. But this is the first book that really addressed the DBSM aspect that has been sort of skirted around in the previous books. It's a topic that can come across as vulgar if not written carefully and thoughtfully. Ms. James did a great job of delving into not only the steaminess of the relationship, but also the choices involved in pursuing this type of relationship outside of a club scene. 


Lorelei James definitely has a way of writing characters that pull at your heart strings. I would say without a doubt that I am just as much vested in her characters as I am in the stories themselves. These are real, believable people. I also love how she is able to describe the towns and settings with enough detail to give a good mental picture, but without bogging down or losing the story. Her stories are full of steamy goodness, family drama and tension, and small town life. I have come to love these things about the Rough Riders series, and Cowboy Casanova did not disappoint. It drew me in from the very first page and I could not put it down.



Summary from Author's Website:
His rough touch makes her lose control... 


In Sundance, Wyoming, you can’t throw a boot without hitting a McKay cowboy, so Ben McKay is used to fading into the background. Except on weekends, when he’s Bennett, imposing Dom at The Rawhide Club, surrounded by a bevy of female subs eager for the attention of his long…whip. 


As for the curvy brunette eying him from across the room? He’ll eat his Stetson if she's the experienced Domme she claims to be. Bennett offers her a deal—he’ll let her call the shots for one night. But the next night he gets to prove to her how freeing it'll be when he takes the reins. 


Ainsley Hamilton is amazed by how well Bennett read her every secret yearning during that one explosive weekend—and she's stunned when they come face to face in their everyday lives as rancher and new bank president. Now Ben’s urging her to explore her submissive side outside the club, and there’s something in his commanding gaze that makes it too easy to let him take control—of her desires and her pleasure. 


Can Ben help Ainsley overcome her fear that a relationship built on dark sexual appetites won’t survive the light of day? 


Warning: This book contains a lot of kinky sex. No, seriously, there's A LOT of kinky cowboy sex in this Rough Riders installment. You've been warned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...